Archive | artRSS feed for this section
Or this super-sweet shirt/jacket/skirt.
When I grow up, I want to a writer like Susan Wood.
by Susan Wood
A parrot of irritation sits
on my shoulder, pecks
at my head, ruffling his feathers
in my ear. He repeats
everything I say, like a child
trying to irritate the parent.
Too much to do today: the dracena
that’s outgrown its pot, a mountain
of bills to pay and nothing in the house
to eat. Too many clothes need washing
and the dog needs his shots.
It just goes on and on, I say
to myself, no one around, and catch
myself saying it, a ball hit so straight
to your glove you’d have to be
blind not to catch it. And of course
I hope it does go on and on
forever, the little pain,
the little pleasure, the sun
a blood orange in the sky, the sky
parrot blue and the day
unfolding like a bird slowly
spreading its wings, though I know,
mixed media print by Mae Chevrette
who pays any attention
while Spring is in the world
my blood approves,
and kisses are a better fate
laugh,leaning back in my arms
for life’s not a paragraph
Wait…, this taste…Already it’s escaping.
…A bit of music, feet tapping, a hum—:
You girls, with your silences, your warmth,
dance the knowledge of the tasted fruit.
Dance the orange. Who can forget it,
the way it fights, drowning in itself,
against its sweetness. You’ve possessed it.
Its deliciousness has entered you.
Dance the orange. Fling the warmer landscape
out from you, so the ripe fruit may glow,
in its native breezes! Aglow yourselves, peel
perfume from perfume! Create a kinship
with the pure, reluctant rind,
with the juice that fills the happy fruit!
- Trash Bag Purses AKA Derelique Chic September 9, 2010
- The Internet Is an Appropriate Place to Garner Pity September 15, 2010
- Welcome to My Quarter-Life Crisis November 22, 2009
- The Grapes of Wreath January 23, 2012
- The Sartorialist (This One’s For the Ladies) January 13, 2011
- Writing, Reflection & One Resolution for 2013 December 31, 2012
- Publishing Person of the Year: Whoever Wrote Fifty Shade of Gray December 18, 2012
- 3 Ways to Expand Your Literary Network November 26, 2012
- This is the paaaaaaart of me where I publish something in an honest-to-God newspaper November 12, 2012
- Your Costume is…the Grinch October 20, 2012